Going the Distance, Part 4
BY Shawnn Slaughter
February 20 2008 1:00 AM ET
Matt, a handsome
bear cub, serenaded us along the route. He's as cute as
he can be, but I don't have a crush on him.
Besides, Matt already has a partner, who is developing
a musical tentatively titled Tap about Congressman
Larry Craig’s airport sex scandal.
This group was a
major morale booster for me, after having gone through a
period of being less than enthusiastic about running. I even
encountered a culinary windfall by running with them:
Our coach, Scott, treated us to sandwiches about
midway though the route and then post-run pizza.
The most joyous
part of the run was crossing the finish line, where I
received a medal for finishing the Celebration Run. It
reminded me of why I run: the euphoric rush of
crossing the finish line and having a medal placed
around my neck. I was also grateful that I didn't sustain
any injuries during this run, even though I was a bit
stiff and sore in my legs and hips for a couple of
- Leslie Jordan Banishes Antigay Starbucks Patrons: 'Get Out of My House!'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Omar Sharif Jr. Featured on Arabic TV News
- Op-ed: The Far-Reaching Consequences of Dating App Racism
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Living Trans, From Iran to New York City