Notes From Outgames: The Soccer Player
BY Ross Forman
July 28 2009 11:00 PM ET
Heather Harrison, 36, played volleyball throughout her career at York University in Toronto, but now it's soccer in the local all-women's lesbian and lesbian-friendly league of about 220 people.
And it's soccer at Outgames too.
"It's been awesome, getting to play on a team with players from Russia and elsewhere around the world," said Harrison, the coordinator for health and fitness at Pickering University. "It's been very interesting just trying to communicate with my teammates
Advocate.com: What goes through your mind when you aren't involved in the action?Heather Harrison: I really get into the zone. If anything, I'm beating myself up for something I did in the past."
What do you eat at halftime of a game?I stop eating 90 minutes before a game. Maybe, if I'm dying during the first half, I will have something with caffeine.
What's your pre-game music-of-choice?Anything from the '80s.
Do you do a lot of trash-talking during games?Back home, yes, but really only if the other player is good. I think it helps my game.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM