The Winner Takes It All
BY Ross Forman
August 10 2009 11:00 PM ET
What did you think was happening at this point? I was not sure. I saw the device and thought it was some type of pipe bomb; it was shiny and looked like a tube. I knew it was some kind of explosive device, but I didn't know if there were more to come or what was going to happen.
When you reached the infield of the track, that's where you were attended to, right? Yes. The first aid was there very quickly. They had me lay down because they were going to remove [the shrapnel] from my skin, but it was underneath and [the first-aid attendant] couldn't really tell what it was. So they called an ambulance.
At this point, while being attended to, did you know what was really happening? Were there more explosions? When I was in the hospital or being driven to the hospital, from what I understand, that's when the next explosion hit. And that's when [the attacker] was chased and caught by volunteers and a plain-clothed policeman.
What's going through your mind at this point? I knew it was just a hand injury, and yet it could have been a lot more serious. I was very calm, very alert throughout, never in shock. But I also was puzzled; I didn't know who had done this.
You were very fortunate, knowing how tragic it could have been. I was lucky it was between my small finger and my ring finger, so it didn't cut any nerves or anything like that. No one else got injured. I felt very lucky; it could have hit me in the leg; it could have severed an artery; it could have hit me in the face; it could have hit me or anyone in the eye. I was very fortunate it was not very serious.
When you left the hospital at about 7:30 p.m., what were you thinking? I just wanted to get back to the hotel, see my teammates, reassure them and my coach that everything was OK, that it was not very serious, that I still was going to compete. After the explosion I really wanted to run, because otherwise the rest of the team would have to forfeit. Fortunately, they were able to find a replacement and were able to run.
What was Tuesday night like for you? I had a lot of pain in my hand, and I was taking antibiotics. Curt and I actually had to take the train downtown because there was only one 24-hour pharmacy, so we had to find it.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 6 min 42 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 7 min 35 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 23 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 58 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM