Blue Jays' Yunel Escobar Suspended for Playing With Gay Slur Written on Face
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 12:28 PM ET UPDATED: September 18 2012 3:53 PM ET
Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar was caught with homophobia written all across his face.
The shortstop was slapped with a three-game suspension today after wearing eyeblack during a Boston Red Sox game on Saturday with the words, "Tu Ere Maricon," written in white across the black smudges. The Spanish-to-English translation of the phrase is essentially, "You are a faggot."
Other players have also used the tiny space under their eyes for messages, most notably New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow's selected biblical references.
The Blue Jays quickly released a statement Monday and denounced "discrimination of any kind." In announcing Escobar's punishment, the Blue Jays said it was meant "to reaffirm that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated."
The team annonced that Escobar will also be working with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and with its You Can Play project, which offers LGBT divesity training to pro athletes.
"Today's actions show that MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays are committed to creating an environment that all fans and families can enjoy," said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick in a statement, "not a place where discriminatory language and anti-gay attitudes are accepted."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 4 min 14 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 6 min 34 sec ago
- Film We Steal Secrets: Is Bradley Manning a Hero? 8 min 53 sec ago
- Film A Drinking Game for the Liberace Movie 9 min 20 sec ago
- Health News Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men 1 hour 19 min ago
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 10:58 AM
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM