Blue Jays' Yunel Escobar Suspended for Playing With Gay Slur Written on Face
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 11:28 AM ET UPDATED: September 18 2012 2:53 PM ET
Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar was caught with homophobia written all across his face.
The shortstop was slapped with a three-game suspension today after wearing eyeblack during a Boston Red Sox game on Saturday with the words, "Tu Ere Maricon," written in white across the black smudges. The Spanish-to-English translation of the phrase is essentially, "You are a faggot."
Other players have also used the tiny space under their eyes for messages, most notably New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow's selected biblical references.
The Blue Jays quickly released a statement Monday and denounced "discrimination of any kind." In announcing Escobar's punishment, the Blue Jays said it was meant "to reaffirm that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated."
The team annonced that Escobar will also be working with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and with its You Can Play project, which offers LGBT divesity training to pro athletes.
"Today's actions show that MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays are committed to creating an environment that all fans and families can enjoy," said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick in a statement, "not a place where discriminatory language and anti-gay attitudes are accepted."
- Activism Queers for Economic Justice Announces Closure 12 min 9 sec ago
- Entertainment News Johnny Weir Scrubs His Bio of Russian Government Work 1 hour 19 min ago
- Transgender HHS to Reevaluate Ban on Gender-Confirming Surgeries 1 hour 25 min ago
- Television WATCH: Ian McKellen Strolls Down Sesame Street 1 hour 53 min ago
- Women WATCH: Mary Lambert's Version of 'Teenage Dirtbag' is a Lesbian Love Song! 2 hours 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Senate Republicans Introduce 'License to Discriminate' Bill 2 hours 23 min ago
- Entertainment News TV Icon Bob Newhart Scheduled For Antigay Org Event With Rick Santorum 2 hours 44 min ago