Blue Jays' Yunel Escobar Suspended for Playing With Gay Slur Written on Face
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2012 12:28 PM ET UPDATED: September 18 2012 3:53 PM ET
Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar was caught with homophobia written all across his face.
The shortstop was slapped with a three-game suspension today after wearing eyeblack during a Boston Red Sox game on Saturday with the words, "Tu Ere Maricon," written in white across the black smudges. The Spanish-to-English translation of the phrase is essentially, "You are a faggot."
Other players have also used the tiny space under their eyes for messages, most notably New York Jets quarterback Tim Tebow's selected biblical references.
The Blue Jays quickly released a statement Monday and denounced "discrimination of any kind." In announcing Escobar's punishment, the Blue Jays said it was meant "to reaffirm that discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated."
The team annonced that Escobar will also be working with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation and with its You Can Play project, which offers LGBT divesity training to pro athletes.
"Today's actions show that MLB and the Toronto Blue Jays are committed to creating an environment that all fans and families can enjoy," said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick in a statement, "not a place where discriminatory language and anti-gay attitudes are accepted."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson 1:01 PM
- Television WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM