Will They Say It? 5 Commissioners Called on to Support a Gay Player
BY Lucas Grindley
September 22 2012 11:09 AM ET
From left: David Stern of the NBA, Roger Goodell of the NFL, Bus Selig of the MLB, Gary Bettman of the NHL, and Don Garber of the MLS
A new campaign is calling on the five commissioners of pro sports leagues to proclaim their support for a gay player coming out. But so far all five are keeping quiet.
The Last Closet launched this week and includes a letter-writing campaign to the heads of the NBA, NFL, NHL, MLS and Major League Baseball. OutSports reports that the founders had been trying to get on-camera statements for a year without success and have turned to the public for added pressure.
The letter to the commissioners asks two questions: "Would you invite the gay players in your league to come out?" and "What support systems would you have in place for them once they do?"
Major League Soccer was the first league to add protections for gay players in 2004, followed by the NHL in 2005, the NFL, NBA and MLB in 2011. And all of the leagues have had to deal with homophobic moments by their players at some point or another.
The most recent example came from the MLB, where Toronto Blue Jays player Yunel Escobar was suspended for three games after wearing "Tu Ere Maricon" — a gay slur in Spanish — written across the black smudges under his eyes.
The suspension is over, but Escobar didn't return to the team's starting lineup on Friday, the Associated Press reports. Manager John Farrell said he had met with Escobar and "it became increasingly clear" that his shortstop would need more time out "to get things in line."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 19 min 12 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 20 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 1 hour 45 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 19 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM