The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 3:57 PM ET
Orlando Cruz (right) lost a NABO Featherweight title fight in 2009 to Cornelius Lock.
The featherweight boxer from Puerto Rico is ranked number 4 by the World Boxing Organization, and he's now the first openly gay man in the sport's history. Cruz told USA Today that being gay is just another part of his identity: "I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban