The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 3:57 PM ET
Orlando Cruz (right) lost a NABO Featherweight title fight in 2009 to Cornelius Lock.
The featherweight boxer from Puerto Rico is ranked number 4 by the World Boxing Organization, and he's now the first openly gay man in the sport's history. Cruz told USA Today that being gay is just another part of his identity: "I have and will always be a proud Puerto Rican. I have always been and always will be a proud gay man."
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland