The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 2:57 PM ET
Josh Dixon competes on the high bar in 2012 U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Team Trials.
This time, the elite gymnast didn't make the cut for the six spots on the U.S. men's Olympic team. But his decision to come out was inspiring nonetheless, and Dixon says it took longer to realize because of his dedication to his sport. “It was literally go to school, do your homework, go to practice, relax, and try to hang out with friends on the weekend,” Dixon told Out magazine. “Being gay was something that I hadn’t figured out or experienced before. I think it was something that I didn’t want to take on. My plate was full already. But college was definitely about learning and growing.”
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View