The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 3:57 PM ET
Josh Dixon competes on the high bar in 2012 U.S. Olympic Gymnastics Team Trials.
This time, the elite gymnast didn't make the cut for the six spots on the U.S. men's Olympic team. But his decision to come out was inspiring nonetheless, and Dixon says it took longer to realize because of his dedication to his sport. “It was literally go to school, do your homework, go to practice, relax, and try to hang out with friends on the weekend,” Dixon told Out magazine. “Being gay was something that I hadn’t figured out or experienced before. I think it was something that I didn’t want to take on. My plate was full already. But college was definitely about learning and growing.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Op-ed: Gay People Raising Kids Has Shifted From Downfall to Salvation
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player