The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 3:57 PM ET
Karen Hultzer in action during the Female Archery Individual Ranking Round in London.
The South African archer came out publicly for the first time in a statement to OutSports just before the Olympic games. She was leery that the detail about her life would define her as an athlete. "I am an archer, middle-aged and a lesbian," she said. "I am also cranky before my first cup of coffee. None of these aspects define who I am, they are simply part of me."
- Op-ed: 'Religious Discrimination' Laws Have Nothing to Do With Religion
- WATCH: Seth Meyers Takes Down Indiana's New Antigay Legislation
- Subaru Comes Out Against Indiana's 'License to Discriminate'
- Arrow and The Flash Stars: It's Time for a Gay Superhero on TV
- Op-ed: Angelina Jolie's Choice Bolsters the Trans Argument
- Indiana Newspaper Sends Big Message