The Out Year in Sports So Far Is Truly Inspiring
BY Lucas Grindley
October 04 2012 3:57 PM ET
Karen Hultzer in action during the Female Archery Individual Ranking Round in London.
The South African archer came out publicly for the first time in a statement to OutSports just before the Olympic games. She was leery that the detail about her life would define her as an athlete. "I am an archer, middle-aged and a lesbian," she said. "I am also cranky before my first cup of coffee. None of these aspects define who I am, they are simply part of me."
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- BREAKING: North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban