Katie Couric to Manti Te'o: 'Are You Gay?'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 9:32 PM ET
During her interview with Manti Te'o today, Katie Couric asked the college football star a question many had wondered after hearing the odd story of his romance with a fake woman online and over the phone.
When it turned out that Te'o had actually been talking to a man, who was apparently a close friend, bloggers wondered aloud whether the ruse was a gay cover-up. Although some have come out after leaving, there is not a single out player in all of pro team sports.
"One of the theories — many theories, Manti — making the rounds," Couric began, "is somehow you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"
"No, far from it. Faaar from it," and then Te'o laughs. And then the entire audience smiles and laughs.
Te'o is a Notre Dame football star and Heisman Trophy runner-up and he has claimed he's a victim of a hoax and wasn't taking part it in the lie. He told Couric their relationship was not sexual.
Watch video of the moment below via Sports Grid.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 2 hours 9 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 2 hours 14 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth May 21 2013 6:34 PM