Katie Couric to Manti Te'o: 'Are You Gay?'
BY Lucas Grindley
January 24 2013 9:32 PM ET
During her interview with Manti Te'o today, Katie Couric asked the college football star a question many had wondered after hearing the odd story of his romance with a fake woman online and over the phone.
When it turned out that Te'o had actually been talking to a man, who was apparently a close friend, bloggers wondered aloud whether the ruse was a gay cover-up. Although some have come out after leaving, there is not a single out player in all of pro team sports.
"One of the theories — many theories, Manti — making the rounds," Couric began, "is somehow you created this whole scenario to cover up your sexual orientation. Are you gay?"
"No, far from it. Faaar from it," and then Te'o laughs. And then the entire audience smiles and laughs.
Te'o is a Notre Dame football star and Heisman Trophy runner-up and he has claimed he's a victim of a hoax and wasn't taking part it in the lie. He told Couric their relationship was not sexual.
Watch video of the moment below via Sports Grid.
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples 4:14 PM