Soccer Player Robbie Rogers Comes Out, Retires
BY Michelle Garcia
February 15 2013 7:52 PM ET
Robbie Rogers, a midfielder for both the U.S. National soccer team and for teams in the U.K., announced that he is gay, as well as retiring from his sport.
Rogers, 25, made the announcement on his website Friday, saying that he was ready to "discover myself away from football." Rogers played for Major League Soccer in the U.S. for five seasons, where he started 18 games and scored two goals. He then went on to play for the English Premier League's Leeds United until he was released last month.
"I realized I could only truly enjoy my life once I was honest," he said in the post. "Honesty is a bitch, but makes life so simple and clear. My secret is gone, I am a free man, I can move on and live my life as my creator intended."
"Yesterday I thought he was a very good player, and I still think that today," Chicago Fire coach Frank Klopas said, according to Out. "Should Robbie want to return to the game, we would still be open to him being part of the Fire.”
The Fire acquired rights to Rogers if he decides to return to Major League Soccer, according to Yahoo Sports.
In addition to his soccer career, during which he played in the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing, Rogers is the co-owner of the burgeoning menswear brand Halsey.
Correction: Robbie Rogers' name was corrected from Robbie Roberts. We apologize for the error.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark 2 hours 35 min ago
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 4:25 PM