Soccer Player Robbie Rogers Comes Out, Retires
BY Michelle Garcia
February 15 2013 7:52 PM ET
Robbie Rogers, a midfielder for both the U.S. National soccer team and for teams in the U.K., announced that he is gay, as well as retiring from his sport.
Rogers, 25, made the announcement on his website Friday, saying that he was ready to "discover myself away from football." Rogers played for Major League Soccer in the U.S. for five seasons, where he started 18 games and scored two goals. He then went on to play for the English Premier League's Leeds United until he was released last month.
"I realized I could only truly enjoy my life once I was honest," he said in the post. "Honesty is a bitch, but makes life so simple and clear. My secret is gone, I am a free man, I can move on and live my life as my creator intended."
"Yesterday I thought he was a very good player, and I still think that today," Chicago Fire coach Frank Klopas said, according to Out. "Should Robbie want to return to the game, we would still be open to him being part of the Fire.”
The Fire acquired rights to Rogers if he decides to return to Major League Soccer, according to Yahoo Sports.
In addition to his soccer career, during which he played in the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing, Rogers is the co-owner of the burgeoning menswear brand Halsey.
Correction: Robbie Rogers' name was corrected from Robbie Roberts. We apologize for the error.
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 23 min 32 sec ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 54 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 4:04 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM
- World News Liberal Australian MP Crosses Aisle In Support of LGBT Nondiscrimination 3:30 PM
- Women WATCH: Hot Lesbians Don Cowboy Hats, Chaps and Spurs for Cowgirl Up 3:18 PM
- Pride PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine 3:02 PM