Soccer Player Robbie Rogers Comes Out, Retires
BY Michelle Garcia
February 15 2013 6:52 PM ET
Robbie Rogers, a midfielder for both the U.S. National soccer team and for teams in the U.K., announced that he is gay, as well as retiring from his sport.
Rogers, 25, made the announcement on his website Friday, saying that he was ready to "discover myself away from football." Rogers played for Major League Soccer in the U.S. for five seasons, where he started 18 games and scored two goals. He then went on to play for the English Premier League's Leeds United until he was released last month.
"I realized I could only truly enjoy my life once I was honest," he said in the post. "Honesty is a bitch, but makes life so simple and clear. My secret is gone, I am a free man, I can move on and live my life as my creator intended."
"Yesterday I thought he was a very good player, and I still think that today," Chicago Fire coach Frank Klopas said, according to Out. "Should Robbie want to return to the game, we would still be open to him being part of the Fire.”
The Fire acquired rights to Rogers if he decides to return to Major League Soccer, according to Yahoo Sports.
In addition to his soccer career, during which he played in the 2008 Olympic games in Beijing, Rogers is the co-owner of the burgeoning menswear brand Halsey.
Correction: Robbie Rogers' name was corrected from Robbie Roberts. We apologize for the error.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 59 min 51 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 2 hours 40 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 2 hours 49 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM