Lesbian Track Coach Alleges Discrimination
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 2:12 PM ET
A lesbian track coach who was forced out of her position at University of Texas for having a relationship with a female athlete in 2002 has filed a complaint against the university for discrimination on the basis of race, gender, and sexual orientation.
Bev Kearney filed a complaint last week with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, according to the Dallas Voice. She coached the team to six NCAA track championships since she took the position in 1993. Kearney, a black lesbian, was put on leave at the end of last year but decided to leave her position officially in January after news surfaced that she was in a relationship with one of the female athletes (who, at the time, was of age).
However, UT assistant football coach Major Applewhite, who is white and male, had an inappropriate relationship with a student trainer during a bowl trip in 2008. He was reprimanded by the athletic director, and his pay was frozen for a year.
“We think there is a double standard at the University of Texas, giving men the opportunity to engage in inappropriate relationships without fear of being caught or punished,” Kearney attorney Derek Howard said Saturday, according to the Voice.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Rising Above the Down Low
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM