Lesbian Track Coach Alleges Discrimination
BY Michelle Garcia
March 20 2013 1:12 PM ET
A lesbian track coach who was forced out of her position at University of Texas for having a relationship with a female athlete in 2002 has filed a complaint against the university for discrimination on the basis of race, gender, and sexual orientation.
Bev Kearney filed a complaint last week with the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, according to the Dallas Voice. She coached the team to six NCAA track championships since she took the position in 1993. Kearney, a black lesbian, was put on leave at the end of last year but decided to leave her position officially in January after news surfaced that she was in a relationship with one of the female athletes (who, at the time, was of age).
However, UT assistant football coach Major Applewhite, who is white and male, had an inappropriate relationship with a student trainer during a bowl trip in 2008. He was reprimanded by the athletic director, and his pay was frozen for a year.
“We think there is a double standard at the University of Texas, giving men the opportunity to engage in inappropriate relationships without fear of being caught or punished,” Kearney attorney Derek Howard said Saturday, according to the Voice.
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: My Father's Daughter
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 29 min 36 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 1 hour 59 min ago
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 2 hours 59 min ago
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM