PHOTOS: Jason Collins in Action Through the Years
BY Trudy Ring
April 29 2013 12:23 PM ET
Washington Wizards center Jason Collins made news and history today as the first man in a major pro team sport to come out as gay while still playing. Over the past 12 years, Collins has played with six NBA teams. He said his coming-out was driven by a desire for authenticity. "I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport," he wrote in Sports Illustrated. "But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation."
Click through for a gallery of Jason Collins in action.
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM