Charles Barkley: "Everyone Has Had Gay Teammates" in NBA
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 08 2013 12:26 PM ET
Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley is the latest former player to chime in on the impact of Jason Collins's coming-out last week. Barkley, who is now a sports analyst for TNT, was on The Dan Patrick Show and told the host that everyone playing in the NBA has "played with a gay teammate."
When Patrick asks Barkley if he's played with a gay teammate during his NBA career, the athlete is candid. "Yeah, of course I did!" Barkley says. "Everybody did. Everybody played with a gay teammate, Dan, and it's no big deal. First of all, I think it's an insult to gay people to think they're trying to pick up on their teammates. But everybody's played with a gay teammate."
He adds that coming out as Jason Collins did is still difficult for players, so many athletes who are gay are sort of open secrets. "I think that it's obviously discussed privately because the problem is, Dan, unless somebody tells you they're gay, you can't say anything about them being gay. Until somebody has the courage — and I think it takes great courage to come out — it's kind of an unspoken word, to be honest with you."
Patrick asks if he specifically has had teammates discuss being gay with him. "I've had several teammates," Barkley adds. "I've probably had three or four guys I've played with in 16 years."
Watch the entire episode at The Dan Patrick Show.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 18 min 43 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 20 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM