Charles Barkley: "Everyone Has Had Gay Teammates" in NBA
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
May 08 2013 11:26 AM ET
Basketball Hall of Famer Charles Barkley is the latest former player to chime in on the impact of Jason Collins's coming-out last week. Barkley, who is now a sports analyst for TNT, was on The Dan Patrick Show and told the host that everyone playing in the NBA has "played with a gay teammate."
When Patrick asks Barkley if he's played with a gay teammate during his NBA career, the athlete is candid. "Yeah, of course I did!" Barkley says. "Everybody did. Everybody played with a gay teammate, Dan, and it's no big deal. First of all, I think it's an insult to gay people to think they're trying to pick up on their teammates. But everybody's played with a gay teammate."
He adds that coming out as Jason Collins did is still difficult for players, so many athletes who are gay are sort of open secrets. "I think that it's obviously discussed privately because the problem is, Dan, unless somebody tells you they're gay, you can't say anything about them being gay. Until somebody has the courage — and I think it takes great courage to come out — it's kind of an unspoken word, to be honest with you."
Patrick asks if he specifically has had teammates discuss being gay with him. "I've had several teammates," Barkley adds. "I've probably had three or four guys I've played with in 16 years."
Watch the entire episode at The Dan Patrick Show.
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 44 min 48 sec ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM
- Film Jamie Lee Curtis Bringing Life of First Gay Baseball Player to Big Screen March 06 2014 5:48 PM
- Politics Here's Why Facebook Is Sponsoring Right-Wing CPAC March 06 2014 5:12 PM