The Story of How Jason Collins Came Out to His Twin Brother
BY Lucas Grindley
May 16 2013 9:47 AM ET
So how did Jason Collins tell his twin brother, Jarron, that he's gay?
Jimmy Kimmel asked the newly out NBA center that very question during a late-night interview with both of the twins. The two have spent all of their lives together in some fashion and yet Jason Collins said he still had "apprehension" about coming out.
"We don't have a serious tone to our conversations," Jason Collins prefaced the coming-out story.
"So he put the bass in the voice," Jarron Collins remembered, "so I was like, OK he's got something serious."
Jarron Collins did most of the recounting. "He was very direct about it," Jarron Collins said. "I heard it, but I didn't quite register it. And I went about asking some of the dumbest questions you could possibly ask to someone who just told you that they're gay."
"Uh, are you sure?" his now very famous brother remembers being asked and laughs.
Watch the complete interview below.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM