The Story of How Jason Collins Came Out to His Twin Brother
BY Lucas Grindley
May 16 2013 10:47 AM ET
So how did Jason Collins tell his twin brother, Jarron, that he's gay?
Jimmy Kimmel asked the newly out NBA center that very question during a late-night interview with both of the twins. The two have spent all of their lives together in some fashion and yet Jason Collins said he still had "apprehension" about coming out.
"We don't have a serious tone to our conversations," Jason Collins prefaced the coming-out story.
"So he put the bass in the voice," Jarron Collins remembered, "so I was like, OK he's got something serious."
Jarron Collins did most of the recounting. "He was very direct about it," Jarron Collins said. "I heard it, but I didn't quite register it. And I went about asking some of the dumbest questions you could possibly ask to someone who just told you that they're gay."
"Uh, are you sure?" his now very famous brother remembers being asked and laughs.
Watch the complete interview below.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- 14 Gloriously Hilarious Rihanna Met Gala Gown Memes
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover