Outspoken Advocate Chris Kluwe Once Again Has No Team
BY Lucas Grindley
September 01 2013 3:20 PM ET
Another of the NFL's most outspoken players for LGBT equality, Chris Kluwe, is once again without a team.
Kluwe confirmed he's been cut by the Oakland Raiders via Twitter and that the team was keeping punter Marquette King instead. "Thanks to everyone at the Raiders for the opportunity this preseason. It was a blast. Marquette King’s got a bright future with you guys!" Kluwe wrote today. "Feel like we both had a pretty strong preseason. No regrets."
Kluwe first gained notoriety while playing for the Minnesota Vikings last season when he wrote a pointed letter (remember the "lustful cockmonster" reference?) to a Maryland representative who opposed marriage equality. Then he was cut and replaced with fifth-round draft selection Jeff Locke. The state's governor, Mark Dayton, complained publicly, saying "I just think sports officials ought to be honest about what the heck is going on."
Kluwe joins Brendon Ayanbadejo, a former Baltimore Ravens linebacker, and another outspoken advocate for LGBT equality who hasn't found a new team as a free agent. After their Super Bowl-winning season, in which Ayanbadejo used the spotlight to promote equality, he was cut.
Kluwe sounded optimistic in a follow-up tweet: "Thank you to everyone for the well wishes. We'll see what the next couple of days bring."
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 3 min 12 sec ago
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 35 min 25 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 38 min 30 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 53 min 29 sec ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 57 min 51 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM