WATCH: The Diana Nyad Documentary Trailer
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 02 2013 12:04 PM ET
More than 30 years ago, champion swimmer Diana Nyad was a national darling. Her journeys — which included a record-breaking swim around Manhattan and a long-distance trek from the Bahamas to Florida — garnered her accolades and admiration from the media and public alike. But one goal eluded her.
In 1978, Nyad attempted to become the first person to swim the 103-mile expanse from Havana, Cuba to Key West. However, the 28-year-old athlete’s journey was interrupted by turbulent waters, which pushed her off course and forced her to abandon her hopes of completing her mission.
At the age of 60, Nyad, whose last name references the water nymph of Greek myth, resumed training to complete this expedition. Brimming with inspiration, this 96-minute documentary trains its lens on the journey of Nyad — who overcame sexual abuse as a teenager to become one of America’s foremost out athletes — as she prepares for her 60-hour trek of storms, stings, and shark-infested waters toward the other shore.
Watch the trailer below.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: State Versus Federal Law
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 23 min 12 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM