Russian Olympics: Boycott, Ban, or Move?
BY Robbie Imes
September 05 2013 8:00 AM ET
LGBT folks are being harassed, beaten, arrested, and sometimes even killed while the Russian government essentially condones it all— making activists wonder what to do about the upcoming 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Different ways of responding range from President Obama opposing a U.S. boycott of the Olympic Games to others petitioning for a boycott of Russian products — such as the now-famous movement to dump Russian vodka. Some activists propose showing up at the Olympics to make a political statement, although that's complicated by the International Olympic Committee's statement that political acts by any participating athletes would result in disqualification.
The true goal of any activism around the Olympic Games is to move toward the repeal of the Russian law and to protect LGBT people in Russia. Here TV's Jim Morrison advocates a position that aligns with George Takei's and Stephen Fry's — move the Olympic Games to a new location. Check out the segment below of Here TV's For & Against to see why Morrison argues this is the best course of action.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 21 min 33 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 20 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM