Will Qatar Repeat Russia's Global Sport Problem?
BY Michelle Garcia
September 11 2013 4:47 PM ET
FIFA, the international organization behind World Cup soccer, will likely ask Qatar, the host of the 2022 championship tournament, to relax some of the country's antigay statutes.
Russia and Qatar will host the World Cup in 2018 and 2022, respectively, and each country has strict antigay laws. However, FIFA's antidiscrimination task force will convene next week with the league's leaders with recommendations on how to proceed with Qatar's plan to host the tournament.
Piara Powar, a member of FIFA's task force as well as the director of Football Against Racism in Europe, added that players of all races, religions, and sexual identities must feel safe coming to play in both Russia and Qatar.
"Qatar is one of the few countries where homosexuality is still illegal and there are also big challenges in terms of the new law in Russia in regard to the World Cup," Powar said, according to The Guardian. "Qatar wants to host the tournament at the start of a new decade, they will want to present an internationally welcoming face and with FIFA's help, we are sure it will be possible to win over the Qataris so that they come into line with the rest of the world, including other countries in the Gulf and Middle East and change the law on homosexuality."
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 17 min 52 sec ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM