Who Wants David Stern to ‘Shh’ on Olympics?
BY Trudy Ring
September 13 2013 2:43 PM ET
In the sporting world, there’s too much silence around Russia’s new antigay law, says NBA commissioner David Stern — but he hasn’t said who’s ordering the silence.
“I’m gonna behave myself, for the record here, which is unlike me,” David Stern said Wednesday in a panel discussion at the Beyond Sport Summit in Philadelphia, reports Philly.com. “But you know, the first phone call to the new head of the Olympics [was] from President [Vladimir] Putin, and everyone wants to talk about the Russian law on homosexuality. Think about the opportunities that sports have to make a continuing statement, and the only thing that we’re saying in that context is ‘Shhhh! No one say anything!’”
Stern didn’t elaborate, but his comment was easily the “most poignant” of the morning, Philly.com notes. The Beyond Sport Summit is an event that focuses on effecting social change through sports. “If the Beyond Sport mantra is to be believed, then the 2014 Olympics are a chance to be a catalytic moment in history,” Philly.com’s Justin Klugh wrote.
Yahoo! Sports commentator Kelly Dwyer, while lauding Stern’s history of opposing homophobia, wished Stern had taken a firmer approach regarding Russia — and other countries that violate human rights, even in situations where it might prove costly to the NBA. “I really wish he’d follow his own advice and take less of a passive/aggressive ‘stand’ here, and actually try to wield a tangible, positive influence on this particular subject in his final days as NBA commissioner,” Dwyer observed.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 23 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 45 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 53 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 1 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 4 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 12 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 59 min ago