Johnny Weir Drops Olympic Bid
BY Michelle Garcia
September 18 2013 11:03 AM ET
World-renowned gay figure skater Johnny Weir has decided not to register for the American national championships, therefore pulling him out of contention to head to Sochi, Russia for the Olympic games this coming February.
Weir, a three-time U.S. champion, did not register by the deadline, September 1, and therefore would not be eligible to be on the Olympic team. Skaters who placed in the top five spots at the 2012 national championships or won medals in the most recent Olympic games or world championships would be eligible to join the team without competing at this year's national championship, according to the Associated Press. Weir has only competed once in an elite competition since the 2010 Vancouver Olympic games, where he placed sixth. The report predicts that Weir may be angling for a broadcasting spot to cover the 2014 games instead.
Weir, 29, has not stated a reason for not registering to compete, but he has been an advocate of LGBT rights, particularly in Russia, as antigay laws have increasingly produced a hostile atmosphere for LGBT people there. Earlier this year, Russia rejected bids for an Olympic Pride House for LGBT and ally athletes, and the International Olympic Committee has asked athletes to remain respectful of Russia's laws.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM