LGBT Post-Olympic Sporting Event Scheduled for Moscow
BY Michelle Garcia
October 31 2013 2:01 PM ET
A group of LGBT Russians is planning a major gathering this winter in spite of the the country's controversial law that bans so-called propaganda that sheds a positive light on LGBT people. This gathering, however, is for sports.
The Open Games will be a gay-friendly version of the Olympics, held in Moscow three days after the Olympic Games in Sochi this February. Athletes of any sexual orientation will be welcome to compete in eight events, including basketball, badminton, and indoor soccer, according to The New York Times.
“The law does not cover us because we are not doing propaganda of homosexuality, but propaganda of sport and a healthy lifestyle,” Viktor Romanov of the Russian LGBT Sport Federation told Agence France-Presse Monday. ”We aren’t breaking the law.”
Konstantin Yablotskiy, a figure skater and president of the organization, said his organization held a similar event right after St. Petersburg enacted its own version of the propaganda law in 2012.
"We all painted rainbows on our cheeks, walked around the city and rode the metro," he said to the Times. "Children saw us, but no one said anything. Was that ‘propaganda?’"
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 19 min 22 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 36 min 27 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 44 min 59 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 10 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 13 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 46 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 49 min ago