WATCH: WWE Star John Cena Supports Gay Wrestlers
BY Jase Peeples
January 21 2014 7:03 PM ET
WWE Super Star John Cena had encouraging words for fellow wrestler Darren Young’s decision to publicly reveal his sexuality last year, and encouraged other wrestlers who may be considering coming out of the closet, during a recent appearance on Watch What Happens Live.
“My thing is this, if you’re good at your job, I don’t judge,” Cena — who has also been vocal about his support for his gay brother — told show host Andy Cohen. “Darren is really good at his job, he’s a wonderful performer, he’s a great entertainer and it’s a very, very bold move that he made to come out. So he certainly is very a brave individual for doing that.”
Darren Young revealed he is gay during an interview with TMZ in August 2013 after a reporter asked him if a gay wrestler could be successful in the WWE. “Absolutely,” he said. “Look at me. I’m a WWE super star and to be honest with you, I’ll tell you right now, I’m gay, and I’m happy.”
On Watch What Happens, Cena added, “I think it’s great [Darren Young came out]. I’m glad that he finally got enough support from the people around him, or courage to make the decision that he did, so now at least he doesn’t have to live with the stress. He can be himself and nobody judges him around here.”
Watch Cena’s supportive comments in the below video.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times