Blake Skjellerup Misses Olympic Qualification
BY Michelle Garcia
January 27 2014 6:33 PM ET
Gay Olympic hopeful Blake Skjellerup announced last week that he will not compete in next month's games in Sochi, Russia.
Skjellerup, the only New Zealand speed skater to compete in the Olympics to date, has been a vocal opponent of Russia's antigay law, which prohibits so-called propaganda in support of LGBT rights. He finished 16th in the 2010 Vancouver games before coming out to DNA magazine.
Weeks ago, Skjellerup finished 33rd in the competition to qualify for the 500-meter short track speed skating. He was one spot away from automatic qualification.
"I came very, very close," he said in a video posted to YouTube. "But it was not meant to be. I'm not disappointed in the outcome at all. I tried, and I'm not embarrassed or ashamed in any way. I'm proud of what I achieved, and it's been a rough ride since Vancouver, but I stuck through it, and I feel like I came out better on the other side."
Several other skaters from New Zealand attempted to qualify for this year's games, but only Shane Dobbin clocked a fast enough time. He will compete in the five-kilometer and 10-kilometer events.
Both Skjellerup and gay Olympic diver Matthew Mitcham were named as ambassadors to the 2014 Gay Games in Cleveland.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 10 min 4 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 15 min 14 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 33 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 12 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 42 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 50 min ago