Super Bowl Ads: Best and Worst Ever
BY Advocate Contributors
January 30 2014 1:00 AM ET
Oh, those poor straight guys having to endure (ugh!) eating fruit with breakfast, and (grrrrrr!) listening to their wife's opinion of their friends, or (gag!) carrying their girlfriends' lip balm. Thank goodness they get to drive Dodge Chargers in exchange for all of those terrible, emasculating duties. Life. Is. So. Hard!
TOO GAY FOR FRITO-LAY
In 2011, Doritos' annual "Crash the Super Bowl" contest got a little too gay for Frito-Lay. The contest solicits fan-made 30-second ads featuring the snack, then asks viewers to vote on which should air nationally during the Super Bowl. But two gay ads submitted for the 2011 contest were apparently too racy for the snack company, which never aired either ad. The first spot featured two hunky nude men steaming in a sauna as one man seductively eyes the other's crotch. The second, slightly tamer ad featured a gay couple sunning themselves by the pool — with a bag of Doritos, naturally — as their presumably straight neighbor looks over the hedge dividing their homes, salivating.
- Artist Spotlight: Paul Reitz
- Hot Sheet: It's Ryan Time Again
- Laverne Cox Distances Herself From Controversial Trans Inmate
- 13 LGBT Roles That Didn't Kill These A-List Actors' Careers
- Slate's Dear Prudence Tells Bisexual Reader to Stay Closeted
- #27BiStories: Appearing Straight, Appearing Gay, and Other Misconceptions Bi People Face