5 Things To Know About Brian Boitano
BY Michelle Garcia
February 06 2014 8:00 AM ET
5. Days after Boitano was named to the delegation representing the U.S. at the Sochi Games, he publicly announced that he is gay. "I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am," Boitano said. "First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations." He later told the San Francisco Chronicle that previously, he didn't think he needed to come out, especially since he considers himself to be a somewhat private person. "But to be part of that delegation, I needed to step off the plane representing my country and the message solidly. I couldn't be ambiguous about it."
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'