5 Things To Know About Brian Boitano
BY Michelle Garcia
February 06 2014 7:00 AM ET
5. Days after Boitano was named to the delegation representing the U.S. at the Sochi Games, he publicly announced that he is gay. "I am many things: a son, a brother, and uncle, a friend, an athlete, a cook, an author, and being gay is just one part of who I am," Boitano said. "First and foremost I am an American athlete and I am proud to live in a country that encourages diversity, openness and tolerance. As an athlete, I hope we can remain focused on the Olympic spirit which celebrates achievement in sport by peoples of all nations." He later told the San Francisco Chronicle that previously, he didn't think he needed to come out, especially since he considers himself to be a somewhat private person. "But to be part of that delegation, I needed to step off the plane representing my country and the message solidly. I couldn't be ambiguous about it."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?