Meet The LGBT Allies Headed to Sochi
BY Michelle Garcia
February 06 2014 8:00 AM ET
Felix Neureuther, slalom skiing, German
Right after clinching his Olympic spot, Neureuther told reporters that he was concerned about Russia's human rights problems, and joked that he would pretend he's gay as a form of protest while in Sochi. "It is not right that the Games should go to the places with the most money," he said last month. "The priority should go to the sport and to the emotion spectators feel when they attend the Olympic games. To have the Olympics in Sochi or Pyeongchang or the soccer World Cup in Qatar is not good for sport. They should definitely go in other directions in the future."
Brooks Orpik, hockey, USA
Orpick is an ally through the You Can Play project, and was among the first NHL players to join the project.
Hannah Teter, snowboarding, USA
“I think that’s crazy,” she said about Russia's law, according to Time. "I think we should we be way beyond that whole thing going down there. I mean, it seems very inhumane to me, in a way. And to support Russia by going to the Olympics is kind of hard because of their views on that subject. So I mean, I think almost in a way, it should be boycotted. To show an example, like, we aren’t going to support, you know, going to the biggest event in the world if you’re going to have these laws in place when we get there, that are totally wrong. I mean, it would be hard to organize something like that so late, but if somebody did I would definitely be a part of it.”
Duncan Keith, hockey, Canada
Keith, who plays for the Chicago Blackhawks, is one of the members of the You Can Play project. After his team won the Stanley Cup in 2010, they marched with the trophy alongside the Chicago Gay Hockey Association in Chicago's annual LGBT pride parade.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 16 min 15 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM