Meet The LGBT Allies Headed to Sochi
BY Michelle Garcia
February 06 2014 9:00 AM ET
Sidney Crosby, hockey, Canada
Crosby, one of the NHL's top players, told reporters that he did not support Russia's law. "For me growing up in Canada, my view has always been that way," Crosby said during a news conference to kick off Canada's Olympic camp, according to ESPN. "I think that everyone has an equal right to play and I think we've been supportive of that. With the Olympics and the controversy around that I think those decisions and those laws aren't necessarily something that I agree with personally... their laws and their views."
James van Riemsdyk, hockey, USA
Van Riemsdyk, who plays for the Philadelphia Flyers, is one of the members of the You Can Play project.
Simona Meiler, snowboarding, Switzerland
Meiler was one of the several dozen athletes who signed a letter urging the IOC to ensure that LGBT athletes and spectators will be protected from discrimination at the games by updating Principle 6 of the Olympic Charter to include nondiscrimination guarantees on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Mike Janyk, alpine skiing, Canada
In September, Janyk joined Athlete Ally as an ambassador, specifically pushing for inclusion and equal treatment during the Winter Games. "I've had the fortune and freedom to pursue my dreams in sport and have seen first-hand how it brings people from around the world together in the pursuit of love, happiness and excellence,” said Janyk. “If I may enjoy this freedom so should every other human being, with whom I would proudly stand with on any field of play.”
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM