Gay Retired NFL Player Roy Simmons Dies at 57
BY Michelle Garcia
February 26 2014 4:00 PM ET
Years later, in 1992, Simmons came out on an episode of Phil Donahue's talk show.
“I know I can help stop someone from going through what I went through,” he said in 2006, according to the Post. “I’ve been there. I’ve had two jobs in my life — football and running. Mostly running.”
Five years after publicly coming out, Simmons learned that he was HIV-positive. He reportedly died due to complications related to pneumonia, according to the Times.
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers