Gay Retired NFL Player Roy Simmons Dies at 57
BY Michelle Garcia
February 26 2014 4:00 PM ET
Years later, in 1992, Simmons came out on an episode of Phil Donahue's talk show.
“I know I can help stop someone from going through what I went through,” he said in 2006, according to the Post. “I’ve been there. I’ve had two jobs in my life — football and running. Mostly running.”
Five years after publicly coming out, Simmons learned that he was HIV-positive. He reportedly died due to complications related to pneumonia, according to the Times.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- Op-ed: Think Before You Tweet 'Homophobe'
- Will PrEP Make Gay Men Stop Using Condoms?