Gay Retired NFL Player Roy Simmons Dies at 57
BY Michelle Garcia
February 26 2014 4:00 PM ET
Years later, in 1992, Simmons came out on an episode of Phil Donahue's talk show.
“I know I can help stop someone from going through what I went through,” he said in 2006, according to the Post. “I’ve been there. I’ve had two jobs in my life — football and running. Mostly running.”
Five years after publicly coming out, Simmons learned that he was HIV-positive. He reportedly died due to complications related to pneumonia, according to the Times.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trixie Mattel on Drag Race Elimination: 'It Was Rude'
- 11 Bad Habits Killing LGBT People
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Op-ed: Indiana's 'Turn Away Gays' Bill Is a Segregation-Era Throwback
- Op-ed: The Slow Death of Gay Gathering Places May Be Aiding HIV