Golf Champ Will Eat Dinner With Gays, Still Thinks They're Sinners
BY Michelle Garcia
April 14 2014 6:14 PM ET
Bubba Watson, the champion of this year's PGA Masters, says he would have dinner with a gay person, but he believes being gay is a sin because of the Bible.
Outsports reports on an interview Watson did with The Christian Post last year, in which he was reacting to the coming-out of pro basketball player Jason Collins. He said he once said he met Collins "and said 'hey' to him, because he used to play for the Suns when I had Suns tickets. I respect anybody that's gay."
He then added, "I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying I love him. If he called me right now and said, 'Hey,' or any person that was gay called me, I'd go to dinner with them any time. It's just my belief system on the Bible says you can't be gay. That's a sin. So somebody living in sin I believe to be wrong."
Additionally, Watson was probably mistaking Jason Collins for his brother, Jarron Collins, who played for the Suns during the 2009-2010 season.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Op-ed: Gay Voice Is Ruining Lives
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Faking It's Michael J. Willett Is the Teen Heartthrob We've Been Waiting For
- WATCH: Neil Patrick Harris Explains He Got Married for His Kids