Skating Legend Tony Hawk Supports Marriage Equality
BY Annie Hollenbeck
July 31 2014 4:51 PM ET
In the world of pro skating, few names resonate as loudly as Tony Hawk. Now, the 46-year-old living legend and entrepreneur is the latest celebrity spokesperson to join the HRC’s Americans for Marriage Equality campaign.
In an clip posted by the Human Rights Campaign, Hawk encourages everyone to follow their hearts, which is exactly the advice he gives to young boys and girls aspiring to become pro skaters. “We need to continue working until every state recognizes marriage as an equal right,” Hawk says in the video.
Hawk shares his position on marriage equality with the majority of Americans, but recognizes the support needed to rally those states who have not recognized equality up to this point. “Like most Americans, Tony Hawk knows that all families deserve to be treated with respect, dignity, and equality under the law,” said HRC’s Charles Joughin. “We are incredibly grateful to Tony for speaking out in favor of marriage equality, and lending his voice to HRC’s fight for fairness nationwide.”
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Has Gaga Lost the Gays?
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Jon Stewart Remembers When The NFL's Biggest Distraction Was a Gay Player
- Philly: Catholic High School Fires Basketball Coach for Connection to Antigay Beating
- Op-ed: The Trouble With Teen Wolf