Destinations: When in Tel Aviv...
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
Cafe Barzilay 13 Harechev St.; 011-972-3-6878090
Tel Aviv's indie homo haunt of choice which
moved to grand new digs in the gritty east end about a
year ago. Now housed in a massive, stark industrial
space, it hosts weekly rotating DJs and themed party nights,
including its (very) after-hours PAG party on Thursdays.
Don't even think of arriving before 1 a.m.
Lima Lima bar 42 Lilenblum St.; 011-972-3-5600924
A new weekly party here called the Notorious
G.A.Y. delivered an unexpected dose of funk and soul
to staid Monday nights. Named in honor of a fallen rap
icon, G.A.Y. lures some of Tel Aviv's tastiest
fun-seekers, who groove to hip-hop, R&B and disco
classics from the '70s to today. The terrace is great
for cocktails and flirting in warm-weather months.
Big Boys Moadon Hateatron, 10 Jerusalem Ave.,
Jaffa; 011-972-3-5184715; Popring.co.il/site/english.aspx
This monthly party for men 29-plus may have a
slightly "aging student union" feel, but it's
refreshingly friendly, surprisingly popular and a
welcome respite from youth-oriented gay club culture, and it
should be adopted worldwide.
Bauhaus Center Tel Aviv 99 Dizengoff St.;
The bijou Bauhaus Center packs in nearly the
entire history of this distinct design genre as it
developed in both Israel and abroad. Don't miss the
center's art and design exhibitions that are in rotation,
and ask about its two-hour walking tour of Tel Aviv's
Bauhaus legacy -- conducted in English, Hebrew and
David InterContinental 12 Kaufman St.;
This soaring five-star 600-room glass-walled
affair was good enough for Madonna during her hyped
cabala pilgrimage a few years back and remains a prime
address for both business and leisure. The alfresco swimming
pool hosts surprisingly fun parties during the summer.
Nina Café Suites 29 Shabazi St.:
This new five-room B&B is located in Tel
Aviv's upscale Neve Tzedek district. Decorated by the
owner, it includes custom-crafted original furniture
and antiques sourced from Parisian flea markets.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 13 min 2 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 14 min 13 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 14 min 37 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 14 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 28 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 45 min ago