Destinations: When in Tel Aviv...
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
Cafe Barzilay 13 Harechev St.; 011-972-3-6878090
Tel Aviv's indie homo haunt of choice which
moved to grand new digs in the gritty east end about a
year ago. Now housed in a massive, stark industrial
space, it hosts weekly rotating DJs and themed party nights,
including its (very) after-hours PAG party on Thursdays.
Don't even think of arriving before 1 a.m.
Lima Lima bar 42 Lilenblum St.; 011-972-3-5600924
A new weekly party here called the Notorious
G.A.Y. delivered an unexpected dose of funk and soul
to staid Monday nights. Named in honor of a fallen rap
icon, G.A.Y. lures some of Tel Aviv's tastiest
fun-seekers, who groove to hip-hop, R&B and disco
classics from the '70s to today. The terrace is great
for cocktails and flirting in warm-weather months.
Big Boys Moadon Hateatron, 10 Jerusalem Ave.,
Jaffa; 011-972-3-5184715; Popring.co.il/site/english.aspx
This monthly party for men 29-plus may have a
slightly "aging student union" feel, but it's
refreshingly friendly, surprisingly popular and a
welcome respite from youth-oriented gay club culture, and it
should be adopted worldwide.
Bauhaus Center Tel Aviv 99 Dizengoff St.;
The bijou Bauhaus Center packs in nearly the
entire history of this distinct design genre as it
developed in both Israel and abroad. Don't miss the
center's art and design exhibitions that are in rotation,
and ask about its two-hour walking tour of Tel Aviv's
Bauhaus legacy -- conducted in English, Hebrew and
David InterContinental 12 Kaufman St.;
This soaring five-star 600-room glass-walled
affair was good enough for Madonna during her hyped
cabala pilgrimage a few years back and remains a prime
address for both business and leisure. The alfresco swimming
pool hosts surprisingly fun parties during the summer.
Nina Café Suites 29 Shabazi St.:
This new five-room B&B is located in Tel
Aviv's upscale Neve Tzedek district. Decorated by the
owner, it includes custom-crafted original furniture
and antiques sourced from Parisian flea markets.
- Travel Brooklyn-Bound Girls Bus Tour Being Floated 5 min 12 sec ago
- Sports Jason Collins Will Remain With Brooklyn Nets 12 min 27 sec ago
- Theater Adam Shankman to Helm Hair at Hollywood Bowl 19 min 11 sec ago
- Women Out Musician Soko On Being a Part of 'First Kiss' Viral Video 24 min 12 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment EXCLUSIVE: Elton John's Las Vegas Performance of 'Benny and the Jets' 1 hour 16 min ago
- Sports Brooklyn Nets Stick with Jason Collins 1 hour 24 min ago
- Television Billy Eichner: Wants to Marry Meryl Streep & Get Down With Judi Dench 1 hour 28 min ago