Destinations: When in Tel Aviv...
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 29 2008 11:00 PM ET
Cafe Barzilay 13 Harechev St.; 011-972-3-6878090
Tel Aviv's indie homo haunt of choice which
moved to grand new digs in the gritty east end about a
year ago. Now housed in a massive, stark industrial
space, it hosts weekly rotating DJs and themed party nights,
including its (very) after-hours PAG party on Thursdays.
Don't even think of arriving before 1 a.m.
Lima Lima bar 42 Lilenblum St.; 011-972-3-5600924
A new weekly party here called the Notorious
G.A.Y. delivered an unexpected dose of funk and soul
to staid Monday nights. Named in honor of a fallen rap
icon, G.A.Y. lures some of Tel Aviv's tastiest
fun-seekers, who groove to hip-hop, R&B and disco
classics from the '70s to today. The terrace is great
for cocktails and flirting in warm-weather months.
Big Boys Moadon Hateatron, 10 Jerusalem Ave.,
Jaffa; 011-972-3-5184715; Popring.co.il/site/english.aspx
This monthly party for men 29-plus may have a
slightly "aging student union" feel, but it's
refreshingly friendly, surprisingly popular and a
welcome respite from youth-oriented gay club culture, and it
should be adopted worldwide.
Bauhaus Center Tel Aviv 99 Dizengoff St.;
The bijou Bauhaus Center packs in nearly the
entire history of this distinct design genre as it
developed in both Israel and abroad. Don't miss the
center's art and design exhibitions that are in rotation,
and ask about its two-hour walking tour of Tel Aviv's
Bauhaus legacy -- conducted in English, Hebrew and
David InterContinental 12 Kaufman St.;
This soaring five-star 600-room glass-walled
affair was good enough for Madonna during her hyped
cabala pilgrimage a few years back and remains a prime
address for both business and leisure. The alfresco swimming
pool hosts surprisingly fun parties during the summer.
Nina Café Suites 29 Shabazi St.:
This new five-room B&B is located in Tel
Aviv's upscale Neve Tzedek district. Decorated by the
owner, it includes custom-crafted original furniture
and antiques sourced from Parisian flea markets.
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM