Where the Adults Are
BY Neal Broverman
September 04 2008 12:00 AM ET
If you can tear
yourself out of your room for anything other than meals,
make sure to check out the abundant art and museums.
Everything worth seeing is just blocks from the
Historic Plaza—a quaint park in the middle of
town. Across the street from the Historic Plaza is the
squat, but cute, Palace of Governors; built in the
early 1600s to house Spain’s territorial
government. Today, the structure holds a museum on Santa Fe
and New Mexico history. Nearby is the Museum of Fine Arts, a
Pueblo Revival building that houses boatloads of
Western art. Around the corner is the Institute of
American Indian Arts, a collection of, you guessed it,
Native American art. Don’t miss the Georgia
O’Keeffe Museum, where the works of the
legendary painter -- who found inspiration in her
adopted state of New Mexico -- are gathered in one
convenient, beautiful spot. Keep an eye out for
celebrity sightings; this one’s a favorite of
the jet set.
Suffice it to
say, art galleries will come at you fast and furious.
They’re literally on every block. Don't get stressed,
just wander in to whichever one catches your eye.
Everyone’s friendly, and the proprietors
welcome the window-shopping.
wondering what nightlife in Santa Fe consists of, it
revolves around eating as well as drinking a good
glass of wine (or two or three). Wander to the
city’s main drag, San Francisco Street, and get tipsy
at the San Francisco Bar and Grill (50 E. San
Francisco St.; 505-982-2044), or try the Coyote
Café & Cantina (132 W. Water St.; 505-983-1615).
Don’t worry, you’re not driving.
At about 10 or 11
you’ll find yourself back in your hotel room
-- full and happy and postnuptial. Who needs the bars?
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 25 min 32 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 25 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 27 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM