Where the Adults Are
BY Neal Broverman
September 03 2008 11:00 PM ET
If you can tear
yourself out of your room for anything other than meals,
make sure to check out the abundant art and museums.
Everything worth seeing is just blocks from the
Historic Plaza—a quaint park in the middle of
town. Across the street from the Historic Plaza is the
squat, but cute, Palace of Governors; built in the
early 1600s to house Spain’s territorial
government. Today, the structure holds a museum on Santa Fe
and New Mexico history. Nearby is the Museum of Fine Arts, a
Pueblo Revival building that houses boatloads of
Western art. Around the corner is the Institute of
American Indian Arts, a collection of, you guessed it,
Native American art. Don’t miss the Georgia
O’Keeffe Museum, where the works of the
legendary painter -- who found inspiration in her
adopted state of New Mexico -- are gathered in one
convenient, beautiful spot. Keep an eye out for
celebrity sightings; this one’s a favorite of
the jet set.
Suffice it to
say, art galleries will come at you fast and furious.
They’re literally on every block. Don't get stressed,
just wander in to whichever one catches your eye.
Everyone’s friendly, and the proprietors
welcome the window-shopping.
wondering what nightlife in Santa Fe consists of, it
revolves around eating as well as drinking a good
glass of wine (or two or three). Wander to the
city’s main drag, San Francisco Street, and get tipsy
at the San Francisco Bar and Grill (50 E. San
Francisco St.; 505-982-2044), or try the Coyote
Café & Cantina (132 W. Water St.; 505-983-1615).
Don’t worry, you’re not driving.
At about 10 or 11
you’ll find yourself back in your hotel room
-- full and happy and postnuptial. Who needs the bars?
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM