Global Gayborhoods: Budapest
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 25 2008 11:00 PM ET
Tips: Budapest Bathhouses
Roughly 100 natural thermal springs erupt in
Budapest, accounting for the city's historical
association with healing baths. One of the oldest is
the Géllert Fürdo
(H-1118 Budapest, Kelenhegyi ú;t 4, Buda;
36-1-466-61-66; 3100+ Ft; 6 a.m.-7 p.m. M-F, 6 a.m.-5
p.m. weekends), which opened in 1914 and remains a top
international choice today.
The old tradition
of separating women's and men's sections is still in
effect, but a range of á la carte spa services have been added,
from manicures and mud packs to acid baths and "healing
Géllert Fürdo for top Budapest bath is the
neo-Baroque-style Széchenyi Fürdo (XIV
Állatkerti ú;t 11, Pest; 36-3-32-10; 2000+ Ft; 6
a.m.-10 p.m. daily), which opened in 1913. Nestled in
Pest's City Park, its massive open-air thermal pool --
by some counts the largest medicinal bath in Europe --
draws crowds of local families on the weekends who spend all
day soaking in its warm, "healing" waters.
Géllert Fürdo excels at luxury amenities,
Széchenyi Fürdo is unique for its extreme
temperatures. A small cavern-like room just off the
moderately hot outdoor bath holds perhaps the hottest sauna
in the world, next to which lie an ice-water pool and
a utilitarian metal chute shooting out sheets of
Rubbing ice on
yourself, retreating to the sauna, and then repeating the
process every 15 minutes for an hour is supposedly very
healthy, but many Hungarian men seem to treat it like
a fun, masculine endurance course.
Tricks: Queer Beer
An 'authentic' beer garden, in which the
establishment's signature brew is pumped directly from
containers underground into the garden's outdoor
garden taps, can be hard to find these days. If possible,
ask locals, concierges, and especially students if
they have recommendations.
has taken a bit of a hit in the last two years, with
favorites like Angyal Bár and Bohemian Alibi closing up
shop. Coxx Bar (1072 Budapest,
Dohány utca 32, Pest; 36-1-344-48-84; cover varies; 9
p.m.-4 a.m. M-Th., 9 p.m.-5 a.m. F-Sa.) remains open,
its cruising backrooms attracting a mixed
leather/bear/muscle crowd. Also part Internet café,
sex shop, and art gallery, visiting Coxx by daylight can be
a useful way to pick up news of other LGBT goings on.
Most advice will
probably point to Capella Café (1056 Budapest,
Belgrád rakpart 23; 06-30-629-79-71; 10 p.m.-4 a.m.
daily, closed Tu.), which offers standard to
above-average quality gay clubbing and good drag shows
to House-inflected diva-stomping beats.
Lesbian-owned Eklektika Restolounge (VI ker.
Nagymezö, Pest; 06-1-266-12-26; 590+ Ft; 12 p.m.-12
a.m. daily) is another old-school hold-out, offering
tasty eats and solid cocktails for appetites of all
sizes and sexualities. Try their vegetarian-friendly
all-you-can-eat buffet from noon-3 p.m. Monday through
parties have taken up the nightlife slack to some
extent, with the Candy parties leading the way.
Venues and cover charges may vary, so check their website
ahead of time.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM