It's time to two-step: Top 10 Gay C&W Bars
BY Aefa Mulholland
March 26 2009 11:00 PM ET
Queer country cool
moseyed into the spotlight with the runaway success of
, but gay country bars had been steering us through their doors
for decades before Ennis and Jack hit the big screen. We tip
our hats to the fabulous herd of country bars that rope us back
in over and over again; from the East Coast to the midst of the
Big D, we present the country's Top 10 country bars.
1. THE ROUND UP SALOON, DALLAS
The best country bar in the nation, hands down, the Round Up is
all you can ask for in a C&W bar. Hot cowgirls and cowboys
swirl the floor of this country-western dance delight nightly.
Karaoke stars in the Victorian Parlor Bar. Shots hit the spot
at the rowdy Tequila Bar. Six bars with different characters
attract a hot crowd of local good ol' boys and girls.
2. HOEDOWN'S, ATLANTA
The Daisy Duke of country bars, Hoedown's is a sassy
Southern stop. A friendly atmosphere and free two-step lessons
help newcomers feel at home. Located in the Midtown Promenade
shopping center across from Piedmont Park, Hoedown's has
been doing the do-si-do for over 10 years. It's one of the
only truly 100 percent country-and-western gay bars in the
3. BRAZOS RIVER BOTTOM, HOUSTON
The BRB is a sizzling-hot haven of behatted hotties. Three
bars, a packed dance floor, friendly bartenders, and even a
boot-shine stand lure the boys in for a Houston hoedown. The
jukebox bar is a quieter option. Excellent shows are scheduled,
and Saturday nights are crammed with friendly folks who are
light on their feet.
4. THE FINISHLINE, OKLAHOMA CITY
Open daily (at high noon, of course,) the Finishline at the
Habana Inn is the place to kick up your heels on Friday and
Saturday nights -- with a large dance floor, big screen TV,
darts, and two pool tables. On special events weekends, such as
Rodeo Weekend, the entire hotel is crammed with cowboys.
5. CHARLIE'S, DENVER
Catch a Broncos game or kick up some dust during an IGRA Bust
and Show night at this "straight-friendly" gay
country-western and pop dance club located in the heart of
Denver, within walking distance of the Colorado State Capitol
and just minutes from downtown. Careful which part of the bar
you go into; Charlie's offers a pair of deuces -- there's a
techno and R&B side to the bar, too.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 2 hours 19 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM