Business Meets Brotherly Love
BY Ben Harvey
April 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
Convention Exit Strategy Whether you're in town for labor or leisure, exploring the city's cultural sites is essential. Your must-see list should include the interactive National Constitution Center (525 Arch St.; 215-409-6600), where you can mingle with life-size figures of the Founding Fathers, as well as the exhibit "Galileo, the Medici and the Age of Astronomy," which is at the Franklin Institute (222 N. 20th St.; 215-448-1200) through September 7. Philadelphia is the only stop on the globe for this exhibit, an eye-opening look into the contributions of the luminaries of the astronomy world.
Part ways with the buttoned-up set for some hip clothing shopping at Matthew Izzo (151 N. Third St.; 215-829-0668) in Old City. Izzo's relocated hybrid fashion and design boutique opened in February and carries a surplus of small sizes to please the tight-waist crowd. Before hopping back uptown, sneak a peak at the MTV Real World house, which you can easily pretend you just stumbled upon since it's adjacent to the historic home of American flag-maker Betsy Ross (239 Arch St.; 215-686-1252).
Seventy-two rainbow-colored street signs, all within spitting distance of the Convention Center, mark the "Gayborhood," the nine-block ground zero for gay nightlife, shopping, and restaurants. Striking a different chord on the bar circuit, Knock (225 S. 12th St.; 215-925-1166) pipes in tunes from the likes of Manilow and Sinatra, offering an upscale alternative to the thumpety-thump meat market of iconic gay bar Woody's (202 S. 13th St.; 215-545-1893).
The more daring should check out Philly's "roving" gay and lesbian parties and other insider tips from Philly natives listed on Uwishunu.com .
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 24 min 20 sec ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 27 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: 7 New Orphan Black Season 2 Teasers to Hold You Over! 30 min 6 sec ago
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 2 hours 38 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 2 hours 3 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 2 hours 30 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 32 min ago