Business Meets Brotherly Love
BY Ben Harvey
April 05 2009 11:00 PM ET
Convention Exit Strategy Whether you're in town for labor or leisure, exploring the city's cultural sites is essential. Your must-see list should include the interactive National Constitution Center (525 Arch St.; 215-409-6600), where you can mingle with life-size figures of the Founding Fathers, as well as the exhibit "Galileo, the Medici and the Age of Astronomy," which is at the Franklin Institute (222 N. 20th St.; 215-448-1200) through September 7. Philadelphia is the only stop on the globe for this exhibit, an eye-opening look into the contributions of the luminaries of the astronomy world.
Part ways with the buttoned-up set for some hip clothing shopping at Matthew Izzo (151 N. Third St.; 215-829-0668) in Old City. Izzo's relocated hybrid fashion and design boutique opened in February and carries a surplus of small sizes to please the tight-waist crowd. Before hopping back uptown, sneak a peak at the MTV Real World house, which you can easily pretend you just stumbled upon since it's adjacent to the historic home of American flag-maker Betsy Ross (239 Arch St.; 215-686-1252).
Seventy-two rainbow-colored street signs, all within spitting distance of the Convention Center, mark the "Gayborhood," the nine-block ground zero for gay nightlife, shopping, and restaurants. Striking a different chord on the bar circuit, Knock (225 S. 12th St.; 215-925-1166) pipes in tunes from the likes of Manilow and Sinatra, offering an upscale alternative to the thumpety-thump meat market of iconic gay bar Woody's (202 S. 13th St.; 215-545-1893).
The more daring should check out Philly's "roving" gay and lesbian parties and other insider tips from Philly natives listed on Uwishunu.com .
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 1 hour 52 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 2 hours 18 min ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 2 hours 23 min ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 2 hours 46 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 2 hours 48 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 5:53 PM
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 5:49 PM