BY Dan Allen
May 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
Meal Plan In this foodie heaven with more than 16,000 restaurants, there's nary a palate that can't be satisfied. As a boozy recession-beating bonus, some eateries are even offering cut-rate wine prices or waiving corkage fees. If you're on the west side (and the company's expense account), you can't do better than the nine-course wonder of Per Se (10 Columbus Circle, fourth floor; 212-823-9335), the much-heralded East Coast outpost of the French Laundry's Thomas Keller. Down in the West Village, the Little Owl (90 Bedford St.; 212-741-4695) is a fantastic and friendly foray into new Americana and far easier on the pocketbook.
Over on the east side, Momofuku Ko (163 First Ave.; 212-475-7899) is one of the city's newer darlings, where the lunch tasting runs a staggering 16 courses. Fair warning: Snagging a table at this tiny Asian fusion gem can be tough, doable only via daily online lottery. Click on "reservations" on the website for details. For trendy grub on the fly (though less quick late at night, when hungry hipsters queue en masse), Artichoke Pizza (328 E. 14th St.; 212-228-2004) offers gobs of gooey goodness.
Insider's Tip: New York's Finest "Corrado, a bakery that just opened at Stonewall Place [35 Christopher St.; 212-242-3535], is a great place to stop in for a quick, delicious breakfast or lunch. For lunch, nibble on a ready-made sandwich to go. My favorite is the ham and brie on pumpernickel. Corrado has amazing pastries too. You can enjoy your Village snack with the locals sitting at a sunny café table overlooking Gay Mecca." -- Carter Peabody, director-producer and 14-year West Village resident
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM