Going Dutch in Amsterdam
BY Billy Kolber
July 06 2009 12:00 AM ET
If you're on an expense account, check into the Amstel (Professor Tulpplein 1; +31 20 622-6060; Intercontinental.com), the grand dame of Dutch hotels and the first choice of royalty, nobles, and rock stars since it opened in 1867. A two-year renovation in the 1990s restored the hotel to its original grandeur and added a luxurious spa and pool, with a glamorous view of the Amstel River. The daring and dramatic style of the Dylan (Keizersgracht 384; +31 20 530-2010; DylanAmsterdam.com), a boutique hotel built in a traditional canal house, will appeal to those in the style-and-design crowd, who also appreciate its location in the Nine Streets, a charming neighborhood of trendy boutiques, restaurants, and traditional canal architecture.
Even in a city where gay people are welcomed everywhere, it may come as a surprise that the local gay leather B&B has a sizable straight following. Seven of the nine rooms at the Black Tulip (Geldersekade 16; +31 20 427 0933; BlackTulip.nl) have slings, restraints, and other sex fantasy equipment, and the hotel's central location is extremely convenient to the train station, red-light district, gay bars, and shopping district. Equally convenient is the Amistad (Kerkstraat 42; +31 20 624 8074; Amistad.nl), a gay American-run B&B and apartment rental for those whose idea of "gay furniture" means Ikea, not the St. Andrew's cross. If your mainstream hotel rate does not include breakfast, don't add it. Hotel breakfasts here are generally dull and overpriced. Skip breakfast in the hotel and instead head out to one of the city's many pancake houses.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 19 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 21 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 2 hours 48 min ago
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM
- Entertainment News Should Brazil Legalize 'Conversion' Therapy? 3:42 PM