A Gay Ski Week With a Kiwi Twist
BY Dennis Hensley
July 15 2009 12:00 AM ET
When it comes to end-of-summer getaways, a big gay ski trip is probably not at the top of your must-do list, particularly if you live in the United States, where summer's all about sun and sand, pride fests, and P-town. For a cool alternative with a sexy accent, I present for your consideration Gay Ski Week New Zealand, nine days of powder and parties, slopes and gropes, headquartered in the "adventure capital of the world" Queenstown.
I recently touched down in Queenstown -- after three action-packed days in Auckland -- to get a sneak peek of the 7th annual Gay Ski Week NZ, which takes place from August 28 to September 6. I stayed at the event's host hotel, the casually sophisticated Novotel Queenstown Lakeside , pampered myself with a rubdown at Aspects Day Spa and a mountainside soak at the Onsen Hot Pools , and sampled local eateries like Tatler , Fergberger , and the gay-owned Fishbone Bar and Grill .
But the highlight of my trip was meeting Gay Ski Week NZ's amiable and enthusiastic organizers, real-life couple Mike Sanford and Craig Lawson. The following Q&A took place in various locales around town, like the chic two-story nightclub 12Bar , which hosts regular gay nights, the locals'-fave coffee shop Joe's Garage , and the cozy and historic Bathhouse restaurant on beautiful Lake Wakatipu.
Advocate.com:I come all the way to New Zealand and you take me to a bathhouse! Mike Sanford: This is the famous Bathhouse restaurant, one of the leading restaurants in Queenstown, and a popular hangout during Gay Ski Week. Craig Lawson: You should also try the Lone Star , where we're having our cowboy-themed dinner during Ski Week. Awesome ribs, fantastic atmosphere. Bring your cowboy hat!
Maybe Shania Twain will show up. I hear she has property in the area. Lawson: She does. You never know, Shania might pop up. Everyone's welcome at Gay Ski Week NZ.
How many people usually attend the event? Lawson: Last year we had about 600 people attend and this year we're looking at about 700. About a third of our attendees have come before. A good two thirds are from Australia and New Zealand. We get a small amount of Americans, but we want more!
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 26 min 27 sec ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 2 hours 16 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM