A Gay Ski Week With a Kiwi Twist
BY Dennis Hensley
July 15 2009 12:00 AM ET
When it comes to end-of-summer getaways, a big gay ski trip is probably not at the top of your must-do list, particularly if you live in the United States, where summer's all about sun and sand, pride fests, and P-town. For a cool alternative with a sexy accent, I present for your consideration Gay Ski Week New Zealand, nine days of powder and parties, slopes and gropes, headquartered in the "adventure capital of the world" Queenstown.
I recently touched down in Queenstown -- after three action-packed days in Auckland -- to get a sneak peek of the 7th annual Gay Ski Week NZ, which takes place from August 28 to September 6. I stayed at the event's host hotel, the casually sophisticated Novotel Queenstown Lakeside , pampered myself with a rubdown at Aspects Day Spa and a mountainside soak at the Onsen Hot Pools , and sampled local eateries like Tatler , Fergberger , and the gay-owned Fishbone Bar and Grill .
But the highlight of my trip was meeting Gay Ski Week NZ's amiable and enthusiastic organizers, real-life couple Mike Sanford and Craig Lawson. The following Q&A took place in various locales around town, like the chic two-story nightclub 12Bar , which hosts regular gay nights, the locals'-fave coffee shop Joe's Garage , and the cozy and historic Bathhouse restaurant on beautiful Lake Wakatipu.
Advocate.com:I come all the way to New Zealand and you take me to a bathhouse! Mike Sanford: This is the famous Bathhouse restaurant, one of the leading restaurants in Queenstown, and a popular hangout during Gay Ski Week. Craig Lawson: You should also try the Lone Star , where we're having our cowboy-themed dinner during Ski Week. Awesome ribs, fantastic atmosphere. Bring your cowboy hat!
Maybe Shania Twain will show up. I hear she has property in the area. Lawson: She does. You never know, Shania might pop up. Everyone's welcome at Gay Ski Week NZ.
How many people usually attend the event? Lawson: Last year we had about 600 people attend and this year we're looking at about 700. About a third of our attendees have come before. A good two thirds are from Australia and New Zealand. We get a small amount of Americans, but we want more!
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- HIV & AIDS Why Are a Higher Percentage of Native Americans Dying from AIDS Complications Than Any Other Group? 30 min 55 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Lorde Is Not Having Your Stupid Lesbian Joke 56 min 31 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: In Defense of Looking 2 hours 40 min ago
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 6:01 AM
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 5:00 AM
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM