A Gay Ski Week With a Kiwi Twist
BY Dennis Hensley
July 15 2009 12:00 AM ET
What's the town itself like during Ski Week? Is there snow on the ground?Sanford: Usually the snow is just up in the mountains, so you can zip around enjoying the town in just a jacket and a scarf. And it's a very gay-friendly place. With a name like Queenstown and street names like Man, Camp, and Shotover, come on!
Given the state of the U.S. economy, I was surprised by the excellent exchange rate I got coming here.Sanford: Gay Ski Week NZ is probably more affordable than ever. You're saving about 30% to 40%.
OK, you've sold me! Now say some gays from North America come down but they don't know anyone -- will you guys make sure they're not lonely?Sanford: Oh yeah, we'll look after them. Lawson: We certainly will. [ Laughs ] Us Aussies and Kiwis, we love to look after the Americans!
Learn more about Gay Ski Week NZ .
Watch the YouTube video of Dennis's interview with Mike and Craig.
How to Get There The Aussie-based airline Qantas offers direct service to New Zealand from New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Vancouver, and Honolulu. I flew from L.A. in business class and the 12.5 hours felt like two thanks to Qantas's award-winning Skybed, 18 video channels, and tasty, healthy food options. A favorite memory: road-testing the built-in back massager in my comfy cotton Qantas PJs while watching Milk for the third time and sipping bottomless Diet Coke. I was a big, weepy, gay, deliriously happy mess.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Op-ed: They're Trans, They're Hispanic, and They've Changed This World
- WATCH: Finding the Funny in "Ex-Gay" Marriages and a Queerpocalypse
- Op-ed: The Long, Powerful History Between Labor and LGBT Activists