Portland Sees Green
BY Aefa Mulholland
August 04 2009 11:00 PM ET
Portland's locavore (locally grown) dining scene -- and dedication to everything fair trade, organic, and environmentally conscious -- might be viewed by some as overly earnest if the food didn't taste so good and come at such appealing prices. The city is truly one of the most appetizing foodie destinations in the country.
Flavors are outstanding at Bamboo Sushi (310 S.E. 28th Ave.; 503-232-5255; BambooSushiPDX.com ), the first restaurant certified "sustainable" by the Marine Stewardship Council for its use of only healthy, plentiful, ethically caught fish. If you want to spice things up after a day of papers and presentations, sample seasonal and farm-fresh takes on Indian classics at superchic Vindalho (2083 S.E. Clinton St.; 503-467-4550; Vindalho.com ). Renowned lesbian mixologist Lucy Brennan's restaurant and bar combo, Mint and 820 (816 N. Russell St.; 503-284-5518; Mintand820.com ), is the perfect place for a creative after-work cocktail and excellent fusion fare that merges Asian, Caribbean, and European influences. Brennan's use of inventive ingredients and unusual takes on classic and modern drinks have won her acclaim from local and national publications.
For a truly distinctive local eating experience, head to Voodoo Doughnut (22 S.W. Third Ave.; 503-241-4704; VoodooDoughnut.com ) for its famous signature voodoo doll-shaped doughnut, complete with stake and tasty dribble of jam blood. If meetings run late, you can still stock up on carbs here: Voodoo's downtown location is open 24 hours.
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride 19 min 43 sec ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys 45 min 31 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial 50 min 34 sec ago
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 1 hour 13 min ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 1 hour 15 min ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 2 hours 17 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 2 hours 21 min ago