BY Advocate.com Editors
November 11 2009 11:00 AM ET
Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings House
Venture back in time to 1930s farm life with a visit to the spot the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of The Yearling called her “place of enchantment,” Rawlings’s restored home located in Cross Creek. FloridaStateParks.org/MarjorieKinnanRawlings
Paynes Prairie Preserve State Park
Bison, wild horses, and over 270 species of birds are among the wildlife inhabiting the state’s National Natural Landmark. Visitors can bicycle, hike, and ride horseback over trails year round. FloridaStateParks.org/PaynesPrairie
Florida Museum of Natural History (pictured)
Focusing on the flora, fauna, fossils, and historic peoples of the state, permanent exhibits include the Butterfly Rainforest, an outdoor screened enclosure with waterfalls, a walking trail, lush subtropical and tropical plants, and hundreds of live butterflies. FLMNH.ufl.edu
Harn Museum of Art
Art can both inspire and educate. Witness the Harn, located in the University of Florida Cultural Plaza, and home to over 7,000 works of art—one of the largest and most diverse university-affiliated collections in the country. Harn.ufl.edu
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times