Pride of the West
BY Advocate Contributors
May 11 2010 5:00 AM ET
It comes down to semantics—but officially, Los Angeles had the first gay pride parade in the country. New York City and Chicago both held protest marches in June 1970 to observe the first anniversary of the Stonewall rebellion, but only L.A. called its June 28, 1970, gathering a parade and asked the police department for a permit (which organizers were begrudgingly granted).
A lot has changed with the parade in the past 40 years—most notably its size and the location; what started at a Hollywood corner better known for hookers and dealers long ago moved to West Hollywood, an independent city better known for hot pants and dancing.
But as officials of Christopher Street West, which puts together all the events that now constitute Los Angeles Pride, kick off the 40th anniversary celebration, they plan to take it back to its roots. On June 1, CSW president Rodney Scott and the Reverend Troy Perry, the last living organizer of the first parade, will lay flowers at the bronze plaque marking the starting point of the 1970 event. Later, Perry will host a CSW-sponsored party at Triangle Square, the three-year-old gay senior apartment complex just seven blocks east of there. “There are residents of Triangle Square who were at the first parade,” Scott says.
First is the only difference between protest and parade, but it’s a distinction that makes all the difference in the world to those who gathered openly, defiantly, and with pride on a run-down Hollywood corner 40 years ago.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 2 hours 55 min ago
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM