Sizing Up South Africa
BY Mike Albo
August 13 2010 5:00 AM ET
Direct flights are available from New York’s JFK on South African Airways. The trip is long (15-plus hours), but this airline makes it as elegant as possible.
In Cape Town: Table Bay Hotel, HotelTablebBy.co.za
In Knysna: Pezula Resort, PezulaResortHotel.com
$1 = 7.5 South African rand (ZAR).
Gay Hood or Hangout
De Waterkant district; the nude beach at Sandy Bay.
Don’t Miss This
Tour a township in Knysna, Emzini Tours, EmziniTours.co.za. Hike up to the old lighthouse at Cape Peninsula National Park.
Ultimate People-Watching Spot
Old Biscuit Mill, a collection of cool boutiques and a food market, where fashion hipsters hang out on the weekends.
Best Place to Splurge
Stellenbosch, where you can go rambling around the gorgeous vineyards from wine tasting to wine tasting, then head to the beautiful downtown area and shop for good, surprisingly cheapish leather.
Easiest Way to Land in the Hospital
Walking around at night alone. There aren’t a lot of police here, and everyone will warn you to be careful at night. Take a cab and watch your back.
You Might Not Know
Knysna’s Pink Lourie Festival, the annual sort of gay/drag/hippie event, is held at the beginning of May each year.
Help Getting Around
Ask for Saleigh at Jarat Tours, JaratTours.co.za.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition 7 min 15 sec ago
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder 39 min 51 sec ago
- Politics Puerto Rico House Approves Antidiscrimination Bill 48 min 7 sec ago
- Entertainment News Week in Geek: Star Trek Actor Gets Wet and Naked, Justice League, and More 1 hour 35 min ago
- Activism Multimedia Project Addresses LGBT Rights Among Palestinians 2 hours 1 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert is a Lesbian Stereotype in Flannel and Birkenstocks 3:36 PM
- Women Lena Dunham Is NOT Amused By Lesbian Porn Parody of Girls 2:54 PM