Sizing Up South Africa
BY Mike Albo
August 13 2010 5:00 AM ET
Direct flights are available from New York’s JFK on South African Airways. The trip is long (15-plus hours), but this airline makes it as elegant as possible.
In Cape Town: Table Bay Hotel, HotelTablebBy.co.za
In Knysna: Pezula Resort, PezulaResortHotel.com
$1 = 7.5 South African rand (ZAR).
Gay Hood or Hangout
De Waterkant district; the nude beach at Sandy Bay.
Don’t Miss This
Tour a township in Knysna, Emzini Tours, EmziniTours.co.za. Hike up to the old lighthouse at Cape Peninsula National Park.
Ultimate People-Watching Spot
Old Biscuit Mill, a collection of cool boutiques and a food market, where fashion hipsters hang out on the weekends.
Best Place to Splurge
Stellenbosch, where you can go rambling around the gorgeous vineyards from wine tasting to wine tasting, then head to the beautiful downtown area and shop for good, surprisingly cheapish leather.
Easiest Way to Land in the Hospital
Walking around at night alone. There aren’t a lot of police here, and everyone will warn you to be careful at night. Take a cab and watch your back.
You Might Not Know
Knysna’s Pink Lourie Festival, the annual sort of gay/drag/hippie event, is held at the beginning of May each year.
Help Getting Around
Ask for Saleigh at Jarat Tours, JaratTours.co.za.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- GLAAD Condemns Slate's Emily Yoffe's Advice