Sizing Up South Africa
BY Mike Albo
August 13 2010 5:00 AM ET
Direct flights are available from New York’s JFK on South African Airways. The trip is long (15-plus hours), but this airline makes it as elegant as possible.
In Cape Town: Table Bay Hotel, HotelTablebBy.co.za
In Knysna: Pezula Resort, PezulaResortHotel.com
$1 = 7.5 South African rand (ZAR).
Gay Hood or Hangout
De Waterkant district; the nude beach at Sandy Bay.
Don’t Miss This
Tour a township in Knysna, Emzini Tours, EmziniTours.co.za. Hike up to the old lighthouse at Cape Peninsula National Park.
Ultimate People-Watching Spot
Old Biscuit Mill, a collection of cool boutiques and a food market, where fashion hipsters hang out on the weekends.
Best Place to Splurge
Stellenbosch, where you can go rambling around the gorgeous vineyards from wine tasting to wine tasting, then head to the beautiful downtown area and shop for good, surprisingly cheapish leather.
Easiest Way to Land in the Hospital
Walking around at night alone. There aren’t a lot of police here, and everyone will warn you to be careful at night. Take a cab and watch your back.
You Might Not Know
Knysna’s Pink Lourie Festival, the annual sort of gay/drag/hippie event, is held at the beginning of May each year.
Help Getting Around
Ask for Saleigh at Jarat Tours, JaratTours.co.za.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM