Gayest Cities in America
BY Mike Albo
January 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
4. Orlando, Fla.
Everyone knows that many Disney employees are friends of Dorothy. But now Orlando itself is coming out as a hot spot for gay and lesbian life and a hotbed of progressive attitudes. Last November, when Orange County leaders voted 6-1 to add sexual orientation protections to the private-sector antidiscrimination law, not a single resident or religious organization opposed it. Meanwhile the annual Theater Fringe Festival (OrlandoFringe.org) continues to be one of the gayest in the country; it spawned the Oops Guys show Bitches of the Kingdom! about fairy-tale princesses gone sour.
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban
- New Report Underlines Savage Inequalities Faced by LGBT Americans
- 15 Queer Documentaries That Helped Define Us
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body