Gayest Cities in America
BY Mike Albo
January 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
14. Oakland, Calif.
Now that San Francisco’s too pricey for most of the middle class — including artists and the funky gays — Oakland has become the Brooklyn of the West Coast. In fact, according to an Urban Institute analysis of U.S. Census data, Oakland has the second highest concentration of same-sex couple households in the country as far as large metro areas go (behind San Francisco). Back in 2004, officials promoted economic development by proposing an official gay business district. Since then the city has welcomed a surge of gay nightlife, an annual Black LGBT Film Festival (BlackLGBTFilmFest.com), and even a nude yoga studio for men (SensoryEnergetics.com).
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Why, No Matter What, I Still Can't Marry My Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Clerks Can Deny Marriage Licenses on Religious Grounds
- The Humble Tweets From a Catholic Priest Spat Upon by Pride Marchers