Gayest Cities in America
BY Mike Albo
January 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
14. Oakland, Calif.
Now that San Francisco’s too pricey for most of the middle class — including artists and the funky gays — Oakland has become the Brooklyn of the West Coast. In fact, according to an Urban Institute analysis of U.S. Census data, Oakland has the second highest concentration of same-sex couple households in the country as far as large metro areas go (behind San Francisco). Back in 2004, officials promoted economic development by proposing an official gay business district. Since then the city has welcomed a surge of gay nightlife, an annual Black LGBT Film Festival (BlackLGBTFilmFest.com), and even a nude yoga studio for men (SensoryEnergetics.com).
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: Jazz Jennings Is TV's Unsung Trans Heroine
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’