Gayest Cities in America
BY Mike Albo
January 12 2011 5:00 AM ET
14. Oakland, Calif.
Now that San Francisco’s too pricey for most of the middle class — including artists and the funky gays — Oakland has become the Brooklyn of the West Coast. In fact, according to an Urban Institute analysis of U.S. Census data, Oakland has the second highest concentration of same-sex couple households in the country as far as large metro areas go (behind San Francisco). Back in 2004, officials promoted economic development by proposing an official gay business district. Since then the city has welcomed a surge of gay nightlife, an annual Black LGBT Film Festival (BlackLGBTFilmFest.com), and even a nude yoga studio for men (SensoryEnergetics.com).
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- Gov. Sam Brownback: Kansas Can't Penalize Religious Groups Opposed to Marriage Equality
- Suicides, Antigay Accusations Sully Elite San Diego School
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015