Gayest Cities in America, 2012
BY Matthew Breen
January 09 2012 4:00 AM ET
12. Portland, Ore.
Bisexual Sleater-Kinney alum Carrie Brownstein has fun on Portlandia ("Put a bird on it!") playing with the rep of the city's hipster, hyper-locavore, hyper-literate, boycott-ready, feminist, fleece-clad denizens. But there's other fun to be had here too. Visit the arty Pearl and Alberta districts; stay at the Ace Hotel; read at the country's largest indie bookstore, Powell's; drink at the Silverado (SilveradoPDX.com) and Red Cap Garage/Boxxes (Boxxes.com); tune in to Out Loud (KBOO.fm/OutLoud), and party at Crush (CrushBar.com), popular with men and women. Oh, then there's all that nature stuff!
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School