Gayest Cities in America, 2012
BY Matthew Breen
January 09 2012 5:00 AM ET
12. Portland, Ore.
Bisexual Sleater-Kinney alum Carrie Brownstein has fun on Portlandia ("Put a bird on it!") playing with the rep of the city's hipster, hyper-locavore, hyper-literate, boycott-ready, feminist, fleece-clad denizens. But there's other fun to be had here too. Visit the arty Pearl and Alberta districts; stay at the Ace Hotel; read at the country's largest indie bookstore, Powell's; drink at the Silverado (SilveradoPDX.com) and Red Cap Garage/Boxxes (Boxxes.com); tune in to Out Loud (KBOO.fm/OutLoud), and party at Crush (CrushBar.com), popular with men and women. Oh, then there's all that nature stuff!
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Modern Family Director Live-Tweets a Plane Passenger's Drunken Meltdown
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad