St. Martin and Caribbean Queens
BY Jenn Kennedy
February 13 2013 5:00 AM ET
Upon announcing plans for trip to St. Martin, a cultured colleague corrected my pronunciation and informed me that it’s actually St. Mar-teen (with a long e sound and emphasis on the last syllable). As it turns out, both are correct, as the half-French, half-Dutch island hums with two distinct cultures, governments, and currencies.
Tucked between the Atlantic and the Caribbean, St. Martin is colloquially called the “Friendly Island.” From airport security to taxi drivers to tour guides to passersby, the locals consistently greet visitors with eye contact and a genuine smile. Most residents speak English as well as French or Dutch, so it’s easy to get directions, order in restaurants, and communicate generally. With 80 different nationalities represented in the population today, St. Martin makes for an integrated, warm, and welcoming vacation spot for LGBT travelers.
Whether you’re craving some good old-fashioned rest and relaxation to recharge your batteries and reconnect with your partner or wanting an active week of water sports, culinary adventures, gambling, and exploration, this little island has it available at all price points.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 32 min 14 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America The Many Faces of LGBT Family 1 hour 32 min ago
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 1 hour 33 min ago
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM