10 Lessons From a Gay Cruise Virgin
BY Cyd Zeigler
February 20 2013 5:30 AM ET
For the better part of our 10-year relationship, my partner, Dan, has talked about going on a gay cruise. I resisted at every mention, worried that it would be too loud, too crazy and too impossible to find just one good night’s sleep.
Little did I know, I wouldn’t want one.
Out of the kindness of my heart, I finally relented. We decided on Atlantis’ party-heavy Independence of the Seas cruise in the Caribbean, Feb. 2-10. Why not dive in head-first, we thought.
The schedule was a day longer than most of their cruises in the past. Friends of mine told me I’d be very ready for it to be over by the last day. They couldn’t have been further from the truth.
This gay-cruise virgin learned a lot on his first trip with Atlantis. These 10 lessons stick out…
1. Less Is More
The first thing we noticed on board the ship: Wow, did we over-pack! And we only brought one suitcase! All we ultimately needed was the clothes we walked onto the ship wearing…and a handbag with a dozen speedos. We would have fit in perfectly.
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 19 min 20 sec ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 33 min 21 sec ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 45 min 46 sec ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 51 min 4 sec ago
- Women Bullies in California Chop Off Teen Lesbian's Hair in Possible Hate Crime 52 min 9 sec ago
- Art Dept More Photos From Jesse Tyler Ferguson's Advocate Cover Shoot 1 hour 1 min ago
- Women AMC's Cult Fave The Killing Adds Scrappy Lesbian Character to its Roster 1 hour 7 min ago