10 Lessons From a Gay Cruise Virgin
BY Cyd Zeigler
February 20 2013 4:30 AM ET
For the better part of our 10-year relationship, my partner, Dan, has talked about going on a gay cruise. I resisted at every mention, worried that it would be too loud, too crazy and too impossible to find just one good night’s sleep.
Little did I know, I wouldn’t want one.
Out of the kindness of my heart, I finally relented. We decided on Atlantis’ party-heavy Independence of the Seas cruise in the Caribbean, Feb. 2-10. Why not dive in head-first, we thought.
The schedule was a day longer than most of their cruises in the past. Friends of mine told me I’d be very ready for it to be over by the last day. They couldn’t have been further from the truth.
This gay-cruise virgin learned a lot on his first trip with Atlantis. These 10 lessons stick out…
1. Less Is More
The first thing we noticed on board the ship: Wow, did we over-pack! And we only brought one suitcase! All we ultimately needed was the clothes we walked onto the ship wearing…and a handbag with a dozen speedos. We would have fit in perfectly.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 58 min 33 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 1 hour 17 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 1 hour 47 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 1 hour 52 min ago
- Transgender How the Pacific Justice Institute Plans to Keep Demonizing Trans Kids 2 hours 3 min ago
- World News Russia's High Court: 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Is Constitutional 2 hours 12 min ago
- Entertainment News GBF's Michael J Willett Stripped Down to Cover of Natasha Bedingfield 2 hours 16 min ago