7 Things to Know About Coronado Island
BY Michelle Garcia
February 27 2013 5:22 AM ET
Just outside of the city of San Diego is Coronado, a family-friendly island town full of history, ghosts, sailors, and good food. Here are a few things to know before you go.
1. Hotel Del Coronado
It seems that many things on this tiny island town revolve around the lore of the grand Hotel Del Coronado. This massive beachfront resort is one of the oldest of its kind in the United States, celebrating i's 125th anniversary this year. It's been visited by 11 presidents, and film productions have ventured south from Hollywood to film at the resort since 1901; it played an iconic role in the classic 1959 comedy Some Like It Hot, starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon. Sure, during the heights of the tourist season, this place can be a madhouse, but locals and visitors alike swarm the grounds for dinner, ice cream, shopping, lounging, or the decadent reservation-only Sunday brunch buffet.
Of course any mention of the Hotel Del would be amiss without mention of the resort's most famous ghost, Kate Morgan (among the other storied spirits that supposedly keep a long-term residency at the hotel). She took her own life in 1892 at the hotel, supposedly after being jilted by her husband or lover. Her spirit lives on in the general eeriness and ghoulish pranks that some report upon setting foot in the hotel. If you're into things that go bump in the night, try downloading one of those ghost-hunting phone apps and take a trip around the hotel grounds. You just might meet someone — or something — new.
- Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Travel Peace Corps Opens to Same-Sex Couples 9 min 45 sec ago
- Commentary Why it's Time to Stop Stigmatizing Haitians 23 min 38 sec ago
- Health and Treatments Is There Such a Thing as HIV-Negative AIDS? 26 min 18 sec ago
- Religion Church of Scotland to Allow Gay Ministers 38 min 7 sec ago
- The Wedding Channel These Grooms Met Because of a Big Blue Dog 41 min 39 sec ago
- Crime Another Gay Man Attacked in New York City 44 min 13 sec ago
- Women Evan Rachel Wood, Anne Rice, Join Calls to 'Save Kate' 46 min 48 sec ago